Last year I did pretty well with books. In total, I read 39 books. This breaks down into:
- 6 short story collections
- 9 graphic novels
- 4 non-fiction titles
- 6 young adult novels, and
- 15 novels
(In case anyone’s counting, that equals 40, but one book was a young adult graphic novel, so it went into two categories.)
This further breaks down into:
- 22 books by women, 17 by men
- 11 books by Canadians, 28 by people of other nationalities.
And, in no, particular order, these were the best books I read last year:
- Tenth of December by George Saunders
- Hellgoing by Lynn Coady
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- Bark by Lorrie Moore
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews
- Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart
- This One Summer by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki, and
- Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton
A short review of most of these books can be found on my instagram @toby_ann.
How was 2014 for books and reading for you?